Siding Terms

Backerboard: A flat material used on the face of the house, between the studs and the siding, to provide a nailable surface for the siding.

Board and Batten : A style in which a narrow strip of siding appears to cover the seam between two wider boards. Board and batten siding is installed vertically.

Buttlock : Located on the bottom edge of a vinyl panel which locks onto the previously installed panel

Caulking : Waterproof material used to seal joints.

Channel : The area of the accessory trim or corner post where siding or soffit panels are inserted. Channels also refer to the trim itself, and are named for the letters of the alphabet they resemble, for example J-channel and F-channel are available.

Clapboard : Overlapping, horizontal wood plank siding made from either rectangular planks or taped planks

Course : A row of panels, one panel wide, running the length of the house from one side to the other or, in the case of vertical siding, from top to bottom.

Cupping : A warp across the board in wood plank siding

D4 Profile : Two four-inch wide horizontal traditional planks per single panel of siding.

D5 Profile : Two five-inch wide horizontal traditional planks per single panel of siding.

D6 Profile : Two six-inch wide horizontal traditional planks per single panel of siding.

Drip Cap: An accessory installed with vertical siding to ensure that water drips away from panels and does not infiltrate them; it is also used as a vertical base.

Dutchlap or Shiplap : A more decorative variation on the clapboard style where the face (or width) of the board is beveled for added dimension.

Fascia Board: The material that covers the end of the roof rafters and provides the finished appearance to the edge of the roof.

Flashing : A type of sheet metal used at intersections of building components to prevent water penetration, flashings are commonly used above doors and windows in exterior walls and are used under the siding to prohibit water penetration.

J-channel: A manufacturing component of vinyl or aluminum siding systems which have a curved channel that the planks fit into, used around windows and doors to make a weathertight seal.

Nailing Hem (or Flange) : The section of siding or accessories where the nailing slots are located.

Miter: A miter joint is the meeting of two panels, usually at a 90 degree angle where each panel is cut at a 45 degree angle. Soffit material may be installed in this manner to provide a more aesthetically pleasing appearance.

Plumb : A position or measurement that is truly and exactly vertical, 90┬░ from a level surface.

Shake Siding: Sometimes known as shingle siding, shake siding comes in widths from about four inches to 12 inches. It is installed like lap siding, starting at the lowest row, and moving up the wall. The random widths of the shakes provide a distinctive look to the wall.

Soffit : Material used to enclose the horizontal underside of an eave, cornice, or overhang. Some soffit panels may also be used as vertical siding.

Square : Unit of measure for siding equal to 100 square feet (or a 10-foot by 10-foot wall section).

Starter Strip: A horizontal strip, fastened to the lowest point of the siding installation. It is used to connect the first course of siding to the structure.

T3 Profile : Three three-inch wide horizontal traditional planks per single panel of siding.

Veneer: Veneer is one ply or one thickness of something; in siding there are brick and stone veneers, there are also veneers of one wood bonded to another.

Weep Hole : A small hole in the bottom butt edge of the vinyl siding panel, allowing condensation to escape.

Wood Shakes : Thick, rough, uneven shingles that hand split, split and sawn on one side, or sawn on both sides, used as siding.

Get A Free Estimate!
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.